Fast web browser with low data consumption
Among the offer of browsers for mobile phones, we've come across all the usual suspects: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera, that have adapted their desktop versions to smartphones and tablets with great success. However, there also other alternatives that also offer us a great performance on these devices, as is the case of UC Browser, with approximately 500 million users all over the world.
Born in China, and also known as UCWeb, it has managed to win over loads of users, taking a giant leap from our iPhone and iPad, or Android smartphone or tablet in APK format, to our PC.
It lands on our Windows desktop after the success of its app for smartphones and tablets.
Main features of UC Browser for PC
The desktop version of this web browser comes along with the following features and functions:
- Web browsing optimized for all resolutions.
- Advanced compression technology to reduce data consumption by up to 85%.
- Support for different search engines.
- Options to customize the interface.
- Built-in download manager.
- Preloading technology.
- High-speed downloads can be paused and resumed.
- Browse without invasive adverts thanks to its ad-blocker.
- Includes a smart file manager.
- Synchronize open tabs and bookmarks among devices.
- Possibility to block pop-ups.
- Bookmarks, themes, and customizable complements that are adapted to all users.
- Different modes to view contents.
- Nighttime browsing mode.
Lower data consumption and higher loading speed
One of the advantages of this development compared to other web browsers such as Chrome, Opera or Microsoft Edge, is that it offers a lower data consumption thanks to the different technologies that it implements.
On the one hand, UCWeb always tries to offer the user data from the closest servers, making the process of loading web pages much faster. On the other, since 2006 it has been developing its own technology to compress and render to the maximum extent all the traffic on its own servers. Therefore, the browser, that's the client, in this case, can show all the content at a greater speed and with less effort.
Despite not having an extensive background on Windows, it's a development that catches the eye due to its customization possibilities, its stability and the scarce resources it needs to work correctly.
Requirements and additional information:
- Requires Windows Vista or above.
With a degree in History, and later, in Documentation, I have over a decade of experience testing and writing about apps: reviews, guides, articles, news, tricks, and more. They have been countless, especially on Android, an operating system...