There are loads of chat and instant messaging applications out there to use to communicate with friends and family. WhatsApp is definitely a must on all smartphones because with over a billion users it's hard to conceive a device without it. To a lesser extent we also have to mention Facebook Messenger, and then the rest come long, applications that are downloaded and installed as a complement for the WhatsApp: LINE, Telegram, Kik...
Messaging app with VoIP features
Among the latter, we also have to mention Viber, an app that although it offers us the possibility to send text messages to chat with our contacts, it also comes along with functions that make it a possible alternative to Skype, since its main advantage is that it offers us the chance to make free phone calls and video calls.
This application, that also has versions for PC, Mac, Android, as well as iOS, offers us the possibility to call contacts that also use it for free, as well as sending them short voice and video messages (up to 30 seconds long). The truth is that Skype allows us to call any phone, whether landline or mobile, but Viber is still a great option if you want to save money on your phone calls.
Instant messaging and voice and video calls.
Main functions and features
- Create chat groups of up to 250 users at once.
- Like messages sent by your contacts.
- Make long-distance phone calls with high audio quality.
- Establish video conferences with HD image quality.
- Send instant voice messages.
- Send short video messages up to 30 seconds longs by simply tapping the record button.
- Safe encrypted communications.
- Wide range of emojis, emoticons, and stickers.
- Function to delete those messages that you regret sending.
- Hide chat conversations and make them accessible by means of a PIN code.
- Follow public accounts of brands, companies, businesses, and even famous celebrities.
As you can see, it also offers us several different functions focused on the user's privacy, that range from encrypting the communications to avoiding that anyone who picks up your iPhone or iPad can snoop on your conversations. Furthermore, and beyond the mere communication scope, it also offers us a very interesting option to play games within the app just like LINE also does.
What's new in the latest version
- Group calls for up to 20 people at once.