What appeared in 2010 as a simple application to edit photos, apply filters and share them with our friends, over time has become one of the most important social networks on Earth, that has nothing to envy of Facebook or Twitter. We're talking about Instagram, the photography platform created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger on which millions of users, including some of the most renowned celebrities in the world, post photos and videos about their daily life.
The best application to share and enhance photos.
And, as couldn't be otherwise, the social network of photography par excellence also has its own mobile application for iPhone and iPad. In fact, it was precisely iOS the platform for which Instagram was initially created, although due to its popularity it soon came along with web, Android, and Windows Phone versions. Here we can access all the functions that have made this social network so popular: publish photos, videos, apply filters, follow other users and like other posts.
From Instagram's mobile application for iPhone and iPad you can access the following functions and features from your mobile device:
- Establish a profile pic and modify your personal details.
- Publish photos and videos on your profile taken straight from your camera or imported from your gallery.
- Make all sorts of basic edits on the photos and apply a wide range of filters.
- Add text and drawings to your photos before publishing them, as well as funny stickers.
- Follow other users of the social network and find new people to follow thanks to the Explore function.
- Receive notifications about the posts and stories published by your friends.
- Take a look at all the photos and videos in which you've been tagged.
- Like and comment on the photos and videos of the users you follow.
- Possibility to merge several video clips into a single video.
- New Instagram Stories mode to share publications that disappear after 24 hours.
- Possibility to broadcast live video via streaming just like on Facebook.
- Send files or messages to friends or groups of friends by means of the Direct function.
- Save photos and videos you want to see again in the future in your favorites.
- Use hashtags to indicate what your posts are all about.
Instagram Stories and Instagram Direct
Among all the above-mentioned functions, we have to point out two of the most noteworthy due to their newness and popularity. We're talking about Stories and Direct.
- Instagram Stories: it's a functionality copied from Snapchat and other ephemeral messaging applications in which we can share photos and videos that are only visible for a short period of time. After 24 hours, those publications disappear forever and will never appear on our profile or timeline, so it's the perfect method to share little stupid things about our daily life.
- Instagram Direct: with this function, the photography-based social network intends to incorporate an instant messaging system into its application. It doesn't work exactly like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger but the concept is the same: being able to send photos, videos, messages, files, or locations to one or several users at once, that only they can see.
But who uses Instagram?
Well, almost everyone. Don't tell me you still haven't tried it out. You must be one of the few people on Earth that still haven't been on this platform because, at present, it has over 500 million users. And despite the fact that a typical user is a young person or teenager (the terms and conditions indicate that users must be over 13 years of age), it's also very popular among brands and celebrities to look closer at their audience.
That's why we find all sorts of famous people from singers like Shakira or Selena Gomez, to sports characters of the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi. As you can see, there's room for everyone on this social network.
What's new in the latest version
- Bug fixes and performance improvements.