At this point, the most popular instant messaging and chat application in the world doesn't need any sort of presentation. We're talking about the app that retired SMS and made us call much less... WhatsApp Messenger, with over a billion users all over the world, has become one of the most essential apps on any smartphone.
Send text and voice messages, chat, share images and files, call...
Although it started off as a tool to write text messages, it has now become an application capable of covering many other aspects of Internet communications and has never stopped evolving. Making the most of mobile data and wireless networks (3G, 4G, 5G, WiFi...), you can send messages and documents, as well as making calls. And all the latter by only knowing the phone number of the other user.
It's hard to find someone without this app on their phone.
Main features of WhatsApp
The most important function of this program that you can use on your iPhone are the following:
- Send text messages.
- Send multimedia files such as photos and videos.
- Record voice messages and send them to any contact.
- Create chat groups with different contacts and talk to them all at the same time.
- Make free voice calls using the VoIP protocol (a WiFi connection is recommended).
- Check any conversation and the messages received or sent even when offline.
- Set your own profile picture.
- Share locations.
- Exchange contacts.
- Customize the wallpaper with photos from your gallery.
- Take photos and send them straight away through the camera option in the chat window.
- Send broadcast messages to several people and groups at once.
- Mention individual users within a group chat.
- Support for the Web and Desktop version for Windows and Mac.
- No international rates.
- Save your conversation history and send it by email.
- End to end data encryption.
- Totally free.
And what about our safety and privacy?
This application has been such a hit that Facebook ended up purchasing it for over 21 billion dollars. Since then we've been flooded we've all sorts of rumors about the possible use of our personal data or the price of the service that is currently free of charge. For the time being, our personal details don't seem to be in danger either.
There's plenty of literature about the platform's security. Despite not offering guarantees for quite some time (and that was precisely one of Telegram's advantages over WhatsApp), it now implements end-to-end encryption which has made this application much safer.
Updates in the latest version
- Group admins can choose to allow everyone to participate or only admins.
- Notify your contacts when you change your phone.